The Executive Director provides overall managerial leadership and strategic planning for the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity affiliate and its Restore in accordance with the directives, policies, and objectives set by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director accepts the covenant of Habitat for Humanity as an ecumenical Christian housing ministry and is a leading advocate for the affiliate with regards to fulfilling the mission statement. The Executive Director is a nonvoting, ex-officio member of the board of directors.
II. Position Description
Reports To: Executive Committee of the Board of Directors specifically and to the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity Board of Directors.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree at least 8-10 years of experience in not-for-profit management or other relevant management experience.
Requirements/ Skills: Must be able to articulate the organization’s mission, values, and goals.
Must be organized, able to meet deadlines, and able to manage multiple concurrent projects and initiatives. Must possess the ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people. Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and willingness to travel are required. Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field, including training provided by HFHI. Successful candidate must pass a criminal background check.
Job Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Hours: Varied, flexible. Some weekend and evenings required.
- Act as the chief administrator responsible for managing all aspects of affiliate operations,
including the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
- Manage the affiliate office by directing, training, supervising, and assessing the performance of paid and volunteer staff of their assigned duties.
- Provide oversight to Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity Restore by coordinating with the Restore director to ensure policies, procedures, goals, and mission of the Restore are effectively carried out.
- Establish and document office procedures, guidelines and performance standards.
- Provide for regular office hours in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa affiliate location.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates staff and volunteers.
- Ensure communication of relevant issues among all groups.
- Ensure the affiliate adheres to government regulations and HFH International policies.
- Other duties as deemed appropriate or necessary.
- Responsible for the development, adherence, and maintenance of sound financial practices and controls.
- Interact with the Finance Committee to ensure completion of audits and other financial
- Maintain confidential employee and applicant records for the affiliate and its subsidiaries.
- Work with the staff, Finance Committee, and Board in preparing a yearly budget. Ensure the affiliate operates within budget guidelines.
- Responsible for homeowner mortgages from issuance to payment, including any issues that may arise, such as delinquent payments, foreclosures, etc.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its mission.
This includes oversight of the fundraising plan and management of the land acquisition fund.
- Authorize expenditures within guidelines and consult with the Treasurer and/or Bookkeeper on bill payments and other financial reporting as needed.
Committee Support and Guidance
- Assist the committee chairs and provide communication flow among committees, staff, volunteers, and the board as appropriate.
- Monitor the progress of all committees and support their efficient operation.
- As appropriate, attend committee meetings and assist committee members in completing
- Work with Board President to prepare an agenda for Board meetings.
- Prepare Executive Director Report for monthly Board of Directors meeting.
- Assist the Board of Directors in making fundamental decisions, preparing strategic plans and creating/maintaining policies.
- Assist the Board of Directors in annual Board recruiting, nomination, and training activities.
- Work with the Board to establish which decisions the board wants to be consulted for and which decisions should be left to staff and committees.
Community Relations and Resource Development
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the affiliate.
- Actively participate with community groups who share the goals of CVHFH. Increase visibility and partnerships within the community, including outreach to local religious, business, civic, and volunteer organizations, as well as local and state government officials and organizations.
- Establish and nurture strong media relationships and ensure that the activities of the affiliate, its programs, and goals are publicized.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with volunteers, home sponsors, partner families, community groups, and other organizations.
- Provide leadership and assistance in the solicitation of major gifts, including meeting with corporate and individual donors. Cultivate in-kind materials and land donations wherever possible.
- Oversee the grant process and provide approval of grant applications prior to submission.
Applicants interested in applying for this job are asked to send their cover letter and resume to: CVHFH.ED.Applicants@gmail.com