Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity is a dynamic, community-based non-profit organization that strives to create an environment where all volunteers, families and employees can be successful. The organization has a range of career opportunities that are posted at various times throughout the year. Please see below for our current openings.
Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity (CVHFH) is seeking a motivated individual, with a proven track record, to lead our nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry dedicated to building and rehabilitating simple, decent, and affordable homes in partnership with families in Linn and Benton counties. This position is a full-time, salaried role working out of our offices in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
The successful candidate must have significant and successful organizational leadership experience and the ability to oversee operations, programs and fundraising. Additionally, due to the numerous responsibilities of the Executive Director, the successful candidate will possess: knowledge and/or experience of Habitat and/or affordable housing, retail/thrift stores, real estate and property acquisition, mortgage underwriting and financing and fundraising.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall leadership and day-to-day operations of CVHFH in accordance with the mission and strategic goals approved by the Board of Directors.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Act as the chief administrator responsible for managing all aspects of CVHFH, including the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity ReStore
- Foster and strengthen relationships and ensure effective communication to all CVHFH stakeholders
- Attract, develop and retain high-performing and engaged staff and volunteers
- Ensure CVHFH adheres to government regulations and Habitat for Humanity International policies
- Responsible for the development, adherence and maintenance of sound financial practices
- Work with staff, Finance Committee and the Board of Directors to prepare the annual organization budget; ensure CVHFH operates within budget guidelines
- Responsible to understand Iowa regulations regarding residential real estate and financing and updates CVHFH policies and procedures, as appropriate
Board of Directors
- Communicate clearly to the Board of Directors the activities and successes of the organization
- Assist the Board of Directors in making decisions, preparing strategic plans and creating/maintaining CVHFH policies
- Work with the Board of Directors to recruit, nominate and train new volunteer board members
- As needed, attend and coordinate communication between CVHFH committees and the Board of Directors
Fundraising/Community Relations/Resource Development
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for CVHFH, cultivating relationships with community partners, local media, government agencies and volunteer organizations
- Provide leadership and assistance in all fundraising efforts, including the cultivation of major corporate, private foundations and individual donors; cultivate in-kind and land donations, as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 8-10 years’ experience in organizational leadership/management
- Must be organized with the ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects and initiatives
- Experience with financial management, including budget preparation and the audit process
- Must be proficient in basic computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced degree or requisite experience
- Nonprofit leadership/management in affordable housing
- Experience leading successful fundraising campaigns, including relationship management with major corporate and individual donors
- Knowledge and experience of home mortgages and the lending process
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Knowledge of the home construction industry
- Experience with CRM database systems
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and salary range with references to:
CVHFH is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.