Construction Manager (Full-Time)
Under the direction of the Construction Director, the Construction Manager (CM) is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations on Cedar Valley Habitat’s various construction sites, to include new construction, home rehabilitations and A Brush with Kindness projects. The CM has responsibility for engaging, managing and coordinating with the on-site construction team, including house and crew leaders, AmeriCorps and NCCC members, Habitat homebuyers, general volunteers, sub-contractors, developers, city inspectors, etc. Additionally, the CM assists with leading other broad functions of the construction department, including, but not limited to: budgeting, scheduling, bidding of labor and materials, long-range planning, warranty work, volunteer coordination, community partner and homeowner relations, and warehouse management.
Even during peak construction season, this position features a mix of on-site and office work. Successful candidates must be capable of performing at a high level in both settings.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, and function smoothly under strict deadlines and shifting priorities
- Strong team player with demonstrated ability to manage personnel
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with volunteers, providing exceptional customer service at all times
- At least three years managing commercial or residential construction; proficiency in managing a range of different types of projects from new construction to home rehabilitation to exterior painting/repairs
- Commitment to affordable housing and mission of Habitat
- Standing; walking; working evenings and weekends; exposure to heat, wind and rain; ladder climbing; residential construction skills; driving trucks and construction equipment; ability to lift up to 75 pounds; willingness to regularly travel within two-county service area and occasionally statewide
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in individual and group settings
- Strong computer skills, to include proficiency in Microsoft Office and basic internet functions; experience with project management software is a plus
- Previous experience with Habitat, residential contracting license and some technical/vocational education are all highly preferred; bachelor’s degree is a plus
- Coordinate on-site construction activities, in cooperation with other relevant staff, to include Construction Director, Program/Volunteer Manager, Construction Coordinator, volunteer leaders, etc.
- Assist Construction Director in the development of home construction schedule, and manage sites in accordance with it
- Lead Habitat’s daily “morning circle” and safety talk on a regular basis
- Manage all aspects of Habitat’s new home construction, home rehabilitation and painting/repair projects
- Work within Board-approved budget parameters under the direction of the Construction Director
- Assist in the development of the annual construction plan in conjunction with Construction Director, Executive Director and Construction Committee
- Attend Construction Committee meetings, as well as construction planning and regular staff meetings
- Advise the Construction Director regularly on all activities and issues related to active Habitat construction sites, to include scheduling, accident reports, sub-contractor issues, etc.
- Support budgeting planning process and house pricing/bidding activities
- Work with Construction Director and Executive Director on the hiring of additional construction staff and construction-specific AmeriCorps members
- Maintain a safe and volunteer-friendly work site at all times, enforcing safety guidelines whenever necessary
- Ensure that quality construction is maintained in compliance with standards set by HFHI, CVHFH and local authorities
- Coordinate home inspections with appropriate city authorities, as well as energy raters, etc.
- Conduct walk-through inspections with future families and file written reports prior to closings
- Complete and/or coordinate all ongoing home warranty work, per direction from Construction Director and Executive Director
- Help to maintain functional inventory of tools and supplies; assist in the maintenance and organization of Habitat’s construction warehouse
- Report promptly to the Construction Director any on-site accidents involving staff, sub-contractors, volunteers, homeowners, AmeriCorps or NCCC members, etc.
- Assist Volunteer/Program Manager in the recruitment and development of skills-based volunteers
- Work in conjunction with Construction Director to ensure that Habitat’s safety program is up-to-date and being implemented at all times; ensure that volunteer safety and volunteer experience are always at the forefront of the program
- Assist in the planning and execution of various special projects, including, but not limited to, Home Builders Blitz, Women Build, etc.
- Other duties as required and requested by Construction Director and/or Executive Director
Compensation: $17-$20 per hour (commensurate with experience and qualifications)
Benefits Include: Medical, dental and vision benefits; matching 401(k); paid holiday, vacation, sick and volunteer time
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Jeff Capps, Executive Director, at email@example.com by close of business on Friday, August 24. Comprehensive background check required. Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer.