Founded in 1988, Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity has served 361 families locally and internationally through new construction, home rehabilitation and critical repairs.
- Volunteer hours in 2017: 27,347
- Individual volunteers in 2017: 1095
- Families served since 2008 flood: 203
- Tons of material diverted from the landfill in 2018: 545
Created first affordable housing opportunity.
Habitat for Humanity ReStore opens its doors!
Flood of 2008
Flood of 2008 impacts large majority of population in the Cedar Rapids area and surrounding communities, impacting more than 1,300 blocks of homes and businesses.
Home Team Huddle fundraiser launches, proving to be incredibly successful. ROOTS program initiated in the greater Cedar Rapids area, CVHFH becomes partner. And NFL quarterback Kurt Warner and his wife, Brenda, join more than 500 Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps members and alumni for the AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon to help build 20 Habitat for Humanity Homes.
A Brush with Kindness (ABWK) begins!
CVHFH hosts second consecutive AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon!
Resurgence of Women Build program.
100th home built and rehabilitated by Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity.
CVHFH members join Jimmy & Roysalynn Carter in Haiti to help rebuild after major earthquake.
Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity participates in Home Builders Blitz for the first time. Two homes were built in just 5 days!
CVHFH receives program grant from Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation to support the ABWK efforts in Wellington Heights.
CVHFH serves 250th family!
2014 - 2016
In support of CVHFH’s ABWK program, Thrivent Builds Repairs program sponsors ABWK Blitz Weeks. 15 families were served through the three Blitz Weeks in 2014. 3 homes were completed in 5 days in 2015. And 3 homes were completed in 5 days in 2016.
In partnership with Hughes Nursery, CVHFH moved an entire house, providing another family an opportunity for home ownership and green space for a new city park!
- Every homebuyer is prepared through a combination of sweat equity, one-on-one financial coaching and home ownership training classes.
- Most homebuyers have an affordable 30-year-interest free mortgage. Mortgages are calculated so a family is not spending more than 30 percent of their monthly income on their housing at the time of their closing.
- 158 families have purchased CVHFH homes since 1988.
A Brush With Kindness (ABWK)
- Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity’s ABWK Program provides painting, landscaping and repairs to qualifying low-income homeowners struggling to maintain their homes. Priority is given to the elderly, Veterans, those with disabilities and single parents.
- ABWK volunteers and staff have completed more than 80 projects in the Cedar Rapids area.
Advocate, Educate, and Engage
- CVHFH is constantly working with a broad range of community partners to eliminate poverty housing and educate the public on affordable housing issues.
- CVHFH tithes 10% of all unrestricted donations to build Habitat homes abroad. Our current tithe partners are Nicaragua, Haiti, Bangladesh, Uganda, and Guatemala.
- Over 2,500 people volunteer with CVHFH annually.
- ReStores are home improvement outlets that sell donated construction material at discounted prices to fund CVHFH’s mission.
- Annually, ReStore keeps 545 tons of building materials out of local landfills.
- In U.S, 95 million people with housing problems: high-cost burden, overcrowding, inadequate housing and homelessness.
- Getting families into an affordable, stable home leads to better education outcomes, fewer dropouts, healthier kids, increased job prospects, more community engagement and safer neighborhoods.